Saturday, November 25, 2017

Installing Fedora 27 on a UEFI-enabled Windows 10 machine with Secure Boot enabled

I recently installed Fedora 27 on my personal laptop alongside Windows. So far Fedora 27 feels very polished and it recognized almost everything out of the box, including sleeping when I close the lid. 

There were, however, a few things I did that went beyond the usual click-click install experience, so I thought I would share:

1) The new Fedora install still boots into Windows

There's a new Fedora media installer executable that downloads the ISO and prepares a USB drive for you, and upon booting from said USB, installation is relatively straight-forward. The installation took care of creating free space from my existing NTFS partition, and automatic partitioning created a /boot, / and swap partition.

However, after rebooting my laptop ran Windows again, instead of Grub - this is typical of UEFI installations. The Fedora installation did create a new entry for itself, but it was missing one for Grub. I am not sure if this is by design, or a product of having a password on my BIOS, etc.

To fix this, we must add Grub to the authorized UEFI files. Find where your BIOS allows you to add UEFI files as "trusted for executing" and point it to 

HD / EFI / Fedora / grubx64.efi  (you must provide a name, I chose Fedora Grub)

Save the settings. You may only have an option to save and exit, like me.

Then, you must make sure that the Grub option that now appears in your boot priority list is listed before "Windows Boot Manager". Voila, it works, and this includes after updating Fedora.


2) Gnome (by default) doesn't show files in the Desktop

You can either install the gnome-tweak-tool, or just run the following in an unprivileged terminal (I think this is a per-user setting)

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true


3) Touchpad does not support tap-to-click (ie, like a Mac).

In the Settings app, choose Devices, Mouse & Touchpad, and in the Touchpad section, turn on "Tap to click".


No comments:

Post a Comment